Mr Sunil Wadhwa is the Chief Executive Officer of IL&FS Energy Development Company Limited. He spearheads the IL&FS Group’s initiatives in the Power Sector.
Prior to joining IL&FS Group in April 2012, Mr. Wadhwa served the Tata Group for over 25 years in three sectors namely Oil & Gas, Chemicals & Fertilizers and Power. In his last assignment, he was the Managing Director of Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (formerly NDPL) where he worked for 10 years. Mr. Wadhwa joined Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TPDDL) in 2002, when the company took over the erstwhile Delhi Vidyut Board’s (DVB) power distribution business in a PPP with the Government of Delhi. In the last 10 years, TPDDL achieved a record reduction in Aggregate Technical and Commercial (AT&C) Losses from 53% in 2002 to 10% in 2012
He was adjudged the “Most Inspirational CEO of the year 2008” in Power Sector by Asian Power, Singapore. During, his 10 years tenure in TPDDL, the Company won many awards & recognition's such as:
– Edison (US) Award for innovation
– Tata Jury award for Affirmative Action
– Asian Utility of the year award for 4 years from Asian Power, Singapore
– Ministry of Power, GoI award for best performing Discom
– Great Place to Work – 70th Rank
– Edison (US) Award for Policy Advocacy
– Hall of Fame for Balance Score Card
– ICWAI award for Best Presented Cost Accounts
Mr. Wadhwa joined Tata Group in 1986 as CFO of Hitech Drilling Service India Limited, a joint venture of Tata Industries Ltd and Schumberger of France in the Oil and Gas drilling business. He was also involved in setting up Tata Petrodyne Limited, the oil exploration business of the Tata Group. In the oil and gas business, he dealt with matters such as foreign collaborations, joint ventures in India and abroad, cross border leases, foreign tax issues, financial restructuring, policy advocacy, capital raising, acquisitions and divestments. After 15 years in Oil & Gas business, he moved to Tata Chemicals Limited as CFO and thereafter in 2002 moved to Tata Power’s Delhi Distribution Venture.
He held Non-Executive directorships of Powerlinks Transmission Limited (a joint venture of Tata Power & Power Grid Corporation) and Tata Power Trading Company Limited. He was also Chairman of the Audit Committees of these two companies. He is Member/Chairman of the following Working Group/Committees:
• Co-Chairman, FICCI Power Committee
• Member, CII National Committee on Power
• Member, CII National Committee on Affirmative Action
• Member, CII National Committee on Climate Change
• Member, CII Regional Committee on Power & Water
• Member, FICCI Solar Power Committee
• Member, CII Renewable Power Committee
Mr Sunil Wadhwa is an alumnus of The Mother’s International School, Aurobindo Ashram, Delhi and a commerce graduate from Sri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi. A Chartered Accountant and Company Secretary by professional qualification, Mr Wadhwa has been a rank holder throughout at national level.